Saturday, September 3, 2011

Alabama Football and Peach Pie!

Peach Pie is as Southern as Alabama Football.  Sorry Auburn fans, but I'm a Bama girl all the way.  For the first Bama game, I had no real plans other than a birthday party for my sister at 3 at my dad's house.  I couldn't help but to think, my dad can't eat birthday cake and well, since he played a major roll in bringing me my BEST friend, I thought I'd make him a SUGAR FREE PEACH PIE!  As hard as it is, I am writing this blog as I watch  the Tide roll over Kent State AND bake a peach pie. 

My family is the most important thing to me and their health and well-being is at the top of my list.  I am always on the lookout for recipes that can accommodate my dad's diabetic diet and I will share MANY more as time passes on, but this will go down in history as my first reduced sugar recipe. 

YOU WILL NEED:

Peaches, of course!  About 8 large peaches, peeled and cut into 1" chucks
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 Cup of Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
dash of ginger
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp of Corn Starch
1 Tbsp COLD water

Put all ingredients EXCEPT water and corn starch in sauce pan and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Bring peach mixture to a rolling boil and mix water and cornstarch.  Pour 1/2 of the cornstarch mixture into the boiling peaches and cook for a few minutes.  You may not need the other half.  The juice of the peaches should coat the back of a wooden spoon.  Turn off peaches and let rest.  They will continue to thicken.  Start you pie crust.  This may seem difficult and if you are not brave enough to tackle pastry dough, feel free to use the refrigerated pie crust for a 9" pie pan; you will need TWO, one for the bottom and one for the top!

CRUST:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, chilled
1/2 cup ice water

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Grate butter into mixture and blend until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Cut the dough in 1/2 and roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Once peaches are cooled, pour into pie plate and top with other crust.  Roll and pinch the sides to form a rope looking border, or use the back of a fork, it doesn't have to be perfect, it'll look GREAT no matter what!  Cut a few slits into the top crust and slide in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes then increase temperature to 400 degrees and cook until golden.  For a shiny crust, lightly beat an egg white and brush over the top of the crust when you increase the temperature.
When I pull this baby outta the oven, I'll post a picture!!
Enjoy! and ROLL TIDE!!

BEFORE COOKING

AFTER COOKING!!
     

2 comments: