Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What is Comfort Food?

I hear people talking about "comfort food" all the time.  So, what is it?  Truth is, it's something different to everyone, but the meaning is in the first word - COMFORT - to soothe, console, or reassure; to bring cheer to. Truth is, that to some, comfort food brings memories of childhood; grandmother's biscuits, mom's mac-n-cheese, or dad's famous BBQ.  Others it means bringing friends and family over for good food and good company.  For me, it's both.  I love inviting people over for dinner and I love cooking good old fashioned comfort food like fried chicken and mashed taters.  With the recent Alabama weather, damp, dreary and dismal, I thought that a good hot meal of comfort food would be just what the Doctor ordered for me and John.  


Sirloin Roast with garlic and rosemary, mashed potatoes and fresh green beans with bacon and garlic.


I bought the sirloin roast at Sam's Club (I am now a member!) rubbed it down with 2 Tbsp of olive oil, chopped up some fresh garlic and rubbed it in too, sprinkled with a little pepper and topped it off with 3 fresh sprigs of rosemary.  And slid that puppy in a 425 degree oven for 10minutes, reduced the temperature to 375 degrees and cooked for 20 minutes for a medium rare!  Yum-Yum!  


Little tip:   NEVER salt beef before cooking.  Salt is used as a way to cure meat and therefore pulls moisture out of meat.  Salt once it's on the plate, not while it's cooking!


And for the green beans. . . . I cut up two slices of bacon and 3 garlic cloves and tossed in the pan until the bacon was crisp, added the green beans and let saute for about 10 minutes.  I like to scar my green beans. . . I like the caramel taste.  Added a tablespoon of water, put a lid on and let them cook for 10 minutes, added lots of salt and pepper.


And Mashed Taters. . . . well, you can cook those however you like, but I like a little butter, salt, pepper, and my secret ingredient. . . . cream cheese!


Here are the befores. . . . 


AND the AFTER. . .. . 








1 comment:

  1. This is torture for a pregnant girl! It looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete